Why Protect our Oceans?
No matter where you live, oceans are essential to all life on earth.
In addition to our responsibility to protect and preserve the magnificent animals, plants and birds that make the sea their home, there’s a lot more going on in and because of the oceans than many of us may realize:
- Oceans generate more than half the oxygen we all breathe
- At any given moment, most of the world’s water resides in the oceans
- The ocean is the primary source of protein for more than 1 billion people around the world
- Oceans offer one of the most promising sources of new medicines to combat many diseases
- Oceans regulate our climate and absorb carbon dioxide - reducing the impact of climate change
- The oceans provide a livelihood, recreation, beauty and wonder to billions around the world.
Everyone, everywhere depends on a healthy sea.